Friday, February 11, 2011

What Lasts Forever

I have been watching Brothers and Sisters from ABC these days. A lot. Yeah, its a soap opera, and i should be thinking of spending my time more worthily.. Yada yada.. I know! Lets just say Luke Macfarlane is one awesome piece of ass. Literally.
But we are here today for a bit more serious talk. I was watching this show and i came across this beautiful piece of dialogue. Read it. You'll love it, i promise.

Situation: Kitty is trying to get pregnant but is failing at it and she is not considering adoption that her husband is suggesting. She is discussing this with her elder sister.

Kitty: Do you remember the time that you came to New York and I took you out for Indian food?
Sarah: How could I forget? Seven months pregnant(with Cooper). It was hotter than hell, the worst heartburn of my life.
Kitty: I remember touching your stomach when we went back to my apartment and Cooper was practically doing somersaults and I just thought how…weird. And how beautiful. I don’t know how I’m supposed to move on. I don’t know how I’m supposed to stop wanting that.
Sarah: Kitty, you remember the somersaults. I remember the heartburn. You know what Cooper remembers? Nothing. There are no guarantees. In the end, the only thing that matters is that there's a child. And that lasts forever.


I am writing this in the context that i have many friends who are trying to be parents and are failing due to various reasons. Many of them are under treatments and monitoring and what-not for this. And none of them are considering adoption as an option.
Procreation is one of the biggest business in India. The hospitals overflowing with couples giving birth to fourth and fifth and more times on one side and on the other side is couples trying to get pregnant, in every way possible, with every latest technology in the field. Everyone who has been married for a few months are asked by every random people they meet about the state of their progeny. So i get the pressure behind trying to get pregnant and then when you fail, rushing to a hospital do every possible checkups and then doing everything possible to conceive. Spending a lot of money so that you can also feel the joy of loving a child and having loved in return.
But on the other hand, this is also the country with the most number of orphans in streets and government institutes. Its also one with high rates of infanticide. Every day we read stories of children being found in dumpsters and roadsides. We read it and pass it off with an exclamatory curse at the mother who did that. And we never think about that child again. Even though you have a power to give him or her a life. Even though you need him or her as much as they need you.
So, if you are a couple trying to be parents and is desperately knocking every door for that, consider adoption as an option. I can understand your need to procreate something that is your flesh and blood. But in the end, does it matter? In the end, there will be a child, whom you loved and brought up and who loves you as much right back. And that's what lasts forever.

1 comment:

Ramanathan Kannan said...

This post contains an excess amount of logic. Anything with excess amount of logic is not good for real life.